Here is some helpful information for those of you traveling to Amsterdam for the ISTR Conference. You can also download a print version of these instructions, or get it off the ISTR Conference mobile app.
The conference will be held at VU University Amsterdam, which is located at the South of Amsterdam. The Campus is easily accessible from the center of Amsterdam by various numbers of public transport (metro/tram).
Address: Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam, De Boelelaan 1081, 1081 HV Amsterdam
Transit stop: De Boelelaan/VU
Here is a photo of the main building where the conference will be held and a map showing it’s location on campus. It’s the tallest building on campus so you can’t miss it.
From Schiphol Airport to VU
- Take the train to Station Amsterdam Zuid
- Express tram 51 (1 minute), direction Amstelveen Westwijk
- Tram 5 (1 minute), direction Amstelveen Binnenhof
- It is a 10-minute walk to the VU from Station Amsterdam Zuid. From the Amsterdam South Train station, take exit ‘VU / Parnassusweg’ and follow the signs à From there it is a 600 meter walk to the main entrance of VU Amsterdam. After descending the stairs, go left and walk straight. You will see the tall concrete building just in front of you.
From Central Station to VU
- Metro tram 51, direction Amstelveen Westwijk (16 minutes), stop at: De Boelelaan/VU
- Tram 5, direction Amstelveen Binnenhof (25 minutes), stop at: De Boelelaan/VU
- Tram 16 or 24, direction VUmc, final stop
Tram, bus, metro tickets
The GVB day or multi-day ticket provides you with unlimited travel throughout Amsterdam, both day and night, on the bus, tram, and metro, for the number of days that best fits your plans.
1 hour € 3.00
1 day (24 hours) € 7,50
2 days (48 hours) € 12,50
3 days (72 hours) € 17,50
4 days (96 hours) € 22,50
5 days (120 hours) € 27,50
6 days (144 hours) € 31.50
7 days (168 hours) € 34,50
Buy those tickets at the airport Schiphol (AKO), Holland Tourist Information, yellow ticket vending machines, and GVB Tickets & Info desks at major metro stations.
You can also buy the tickets in advance online: GVB day ticket or multi day ticket
Bringing your kids? A children’s day ticket is also available for a heavily reduced fare. This ticket is for children 4 through 11 years. The child ticket can only be purchased via GVB Tickets & Info, www.ovshop.nl, and our Service points
By Car to VU
The A-10 Amsterdam ring road can be reached from all directions. Follow the A-10 to the Zuid/Amstelveen exit S108. Turn left at the end of the slip road onto Amstelveenseweg; after three hundred yards (at the VU University hospital building) turn left again onto De Boelelaan. VU University Amsterdam can be reached via city routes S108 and S109.
There is a limited amount of parking space around VU University Amsterdam in De Boelelaan, which has parking bays, and also in Karel Lotsylaan. There is paid parking on VU Amsterdam parking lot to the right of the Hospital Outpatient Clinic.
Schiphol Airport to Downtown Amsterdam
Please note that if you are traveling from the airport to the conference venue directly, you should refer to the instructions above.
Amsterdam Airport Express
Need a quick connection between Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and the city centre of Amsterdam? Take the Amsterdam Airport Express (bus 397)! Please note: this used to be bus 197.
The Amsterdam Airport Express provides a quick and easy transfer from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to the city centre of Amsterdam. Departing every 7,5 minutes from bus platforms B15-19, this bus takes you directly to Museumplein, Rijksmuseum or Leidseplein. From there on you can get to many hotels in Amsterdam very easily.
You can also buy this ticket at the Info & Ticket bus or directly from the bus driver.
- Where are platforms B15-19?
- Check the available busstops and nearby hotels
- Timetable bus 397 Schiphol Airport – Amsterdam Centre